14 Dec Pistachio and lemon breakfast loaf
For the batter
- 100g shelled pistachios, plus extra to decorate
- 125ml oil – combo of sunflower and grape seed oil, plus extra for greasing
- 125g caster sugar (you can add less than this amount, or add honey instead)
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 8 green cardamom pods, seeds removed and ground (to make 1 tsp ground cardamom)
- 1 unwaxed lemon, zest only
- 100g plain flour
- 30g ground hazelnuts
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g soured cream
For the lemon syrup
- 2 lemons, juice only
- 120g caster sugar
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin.
In a food processor, pulse the pistachios to make a powder.
In a large bowl, mix together the oils and caster sugar. Add the eggs, vanilla paste, ground cardamom and lemon zest. Stir until combined.
In a separate bowl, add the flour, ground pistachios, ground hazelnuts, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate soda. Stir until well combined then fold into the wet ingredients in the other bowl. Fold in the soured cream.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the syrup. Heat the lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved, then briefly bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
As soon as the cake is baked, poke holes all over the top using a skewer. Pour over two-thirds of the hot syrup and leave to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes. Add the finely chopped remaining pistachios for decorating the cake to the remaining syrup.
When the cake is cool, remove it from the tin.
Top with the syrup-coated pistachios